What is an Essay?‘’
- A piece of writing about one topic
- Several paragraphs or more
Parts of an Essay
- It tells you what the essay is going to be about.
- It has some background information or other general statements about the topic.
- Each essay need at least two body paragraphs; The body statements help to develop the thesis statement. That means they give reasons and examples. That help to prove the thesis statement.
- A conclusion wraps up the essay. You might summarize your main points pr restate your thesis.
Types of Essays
- It is a kind of essay that supports a thesis using example, shows the reader something through examples.
- It is a kind of essay that proves a point by giving reasons, each body paragraph will give another reason to support the thesis.
- It divides a topic into categories and each body paragraph will be a separate category.
- It is a type of essay that show the similarities between two things or the differences between two things.
- It will describe the causes of something or the effects of something.
Rules of Academic Essays
- Use 3rd person pronouns
- Cite your source
- Use correct grammar and punctuation
- Use correct format
- handwrite, typed, MLA, APA
Different Kinds of Essays
Description——A place or event
Process——How to do something
Hooks, Funnels, and Thesis Statements
- Attract attention
- Create interest
- Make the reader want to continue
- Some people may not realize that McDonald’s hamburgers can last for many years without rotting.
- What makes teenagers lie to their parents?
- Andy Warhol wisely pointed out that “As soon as you stop wanting something, you get it.”
- General statements/ Hook
- More specific statements
- Thesis statement
- topic(topic is the subject or the thing that you are taking about) + controlling idea(is what you want to say about the topic, it’s where your argument is)
Things to Avoid
- Don’t announce your thesis(same as “I will give”)
- Don’t write a fact(fact is not arguable)
- Don’t write a popular opinion
- Don’t use pronouns, be specific
- Don’t forget the two parts
Sample Thesis Statements
Iceland is a beautiful country to visit to learn about a new culture.
- The topic is Iceland, and the controlling idea is that it is a beautiful place to learn about a new culture.
What is Wrong with These Thesis Statements?
- It’s important to change it because it will protect the environment.
- I will give four reasons why Germany won the Cup World.
- People should stop smoking because it is dangerous for health and is a dirty habit.
- Saving money is important.